Lionsgate Entertainment has released its OTT service named Lionsgate Play in India. For the uninitiated, this is the studio behind John Wick and The Hunger Games. The new subscription-based platform brings a bunch of award-winning English movies, TV series, and premium originals. But that’s not all, the company has also revealed its plans to produce ‘High-Budget Premium Indian Originals’.
Read on for more details on the premiere shows, the app, and other things.
Lionsgate Play: Shows
These are some of the Hollywood titles known to be under work:
- A John Wick spin-off called The Continental, whose IMDB description reads, “The Continental is a chain of hotels located all around the world that function as a neutral territory for members of the criminal underworld. They are frequented by many hitmen and notorious murderers.”
- Becoming Elizabeth, a limited series showcasing the rise and reign of Queen Elizabeth I on the throne.
ALSO READ: Moto G 5G Review
Then there are the shows that will have the Indian premiere thanks to the new broadcasting service:
- Anna Kendrick-starring Love Life (the first HBO Max original in India) presents (according to IMDB) a fresh take on a romantic comedy anthology series about the journey from first love to lasting love.
- The Goes Wrong Show: IMDB describes the show as “a series of brand new, hand-crafted, half hours of theatrical catastrophe as The Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society undertake more (overly) ambitious endeavors.”
- No Man’s Land: IMDB elucidates the show as about “a family grieves the death of their daughter in a suicide bombing. Meanwhile, her brother suspects she is still alive after glimpsing her in a news report and sets off to find her in the Middle East.”
As for the Indian shows, here’s what we know thus far — Lionsgate is working with Bollywood biggies like Anil Kapoor, Kunal Kohli, Mukesh Bhatt, Akarsh Khurana, and studios like Endemol Shine. The shows are slated for a 2021 release.
ALSO READ: MSI GS66 Stealth Review
Lionsgate Play: Plans and Pricing
Although, you can see what all content is available. You will have to pay to watch the actual content. Lionsgate Play is priced at Rs. 99 per month or Rs. 699 annually in India.
“Lionsgate Play has a different pricing strategy for every market. While it will be available at an attractive price point of Rs 99 a month, we have realised that annual pricing also works very well in India. Our pricing will create a new mid-tier, between the local and global services,” told Rohit Jain, MD, Lionsgate South Asia to ET.