Related recipes to try out:
After trying out andhra chicken curry I really wanted to go for andhra style chicken fry as the look of it is quite appealing and I have been longing to try it out for a long time.
About the recipe:
Chicken can be stir fried in various ways but this andhra style fry is definitely close to me because of its spicy taste and the flavor which brings out due to the different spices that go into making it.
The spices that go into making this fry are quite common and are the usual indian spices and I have made use of green chillies and curry leaves which are used basically down south to fry veggies and these tempering brings out the aroma in the dish.
Also used in the dish are chopped onions and this is an essential ingredient to bring out the perfect taste to the whole dish.
The south indian method of stir fry takes in common ingredients which are very easily available in every household and in every Indian kitchen.
The chicken is stir fried in spices until it gets soft and all the spices are coated well to the chicken pieces to get the perfect taste. This non veg fry can be eaten as a side dish or a snack item or as a starter.
Below would be the instructions how to make this delicious side dish from south indian region in south indian style…
How to make it and tips to get it right:
The initial tempering for the recipe is necessary by adding green chilies, curry leaves which give a pleasant aroma to the stir fried chicken and if these two essential ingredients are skipped then the fry would give a plain boiled chicken aroma.
Chopped onions are needed to give the required gravy and for the chicken to cook well just by roasting. Onions add the best to chicken while only roasting.
In order to make it flavorful these ingredients are required and along with them additional dry spices such as coriander powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder are added into the dish.
To make the dish the fried chicken has to be stir fried and roasted well by stirring in between until the chicken is well tenderized.
Stirring while cooking helps to avoid the base of the chicken dish to burn as well as helps to cook the chicken well on each side.
Cooking the dish by adding some freshly chopped coriander or cilantro leaves lifts up the flavors.
Simple dish can be cooked delicious by only few ingredients and by roasting it well.
Note: Do not add any water and the chicken can be roasted well only with the help of water released from the chopped onions.
Which chicken to be preferred?:
Small cut pieces of chicken or boneless small pieces are required to make a good stir fried chicken.
Cut pieces with bones too can be used which also gives the best results.
Check out two ways of making easy chicken fry recipe:
The first method is the andhra style spicy chicken fry which is a stir fried chicken with herbs and spices.
Method 1 (Step by step pics for the chicken recipe below):
- Firstly, take a wok, into it add oil and heat it.
- Add curry leaves and allow them to crackle.
- Into it, add green chillies and stir well.
- Add the finely chopped onions.
- saute and cook until onions turn soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute to get rid of raw smell.
- Add the chicken pieces into it .
- roast them well until color of the chicken changes.
- Add salt as per the taste, add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, black pepper corn powder, garam masala powder and mix everything well.
- Mix and roast the chicken on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- cook for 5 minutes and keep stirring in between.
- Keep cooking and stirring in between to avoid burning of the masala at the bottom for at least 5-10 minutes..
- add coriander leaves.
- Cover the lid and cook the chicken on sim flame until it gets soft or for 10 minutes and keep stirring and checking in between.
- Cook it by keeping it uncovered if there is any water content and roast well on low flame else skip this step and the recipe is ready. For more spicy chicken fry, garam masala powder can be added and modified.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot with dal, rice or chapati.
- Watch the video below for a better understanding.
Chicken stir fry andhra style video procedure below:
Method 2: Deep Fried chicken recipe version below:
Unlike the above stir fried version this is the deep fried method… I have shared both methods and follow the method that suits best…
This recipe is for my blog readers who are looking forward to trying out a deep fried version of chicken fry.
This method uses a technique where the boneless chicken pieces are deep fried after marination.
Check out the step by step procedure to understand it much better:
- Use 250 grams of boneless chicken pieces, which are cleaned and washed well.
- To the chicken add salt as per taste, ½ a teaspoon of red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp ginger garlic paste.
- add ½ tsp coriander seeds powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder, ¼ tsp black pepper powder.
- add ¼ tsp cumin powder. Quantities of the dry spices can be increased for more spicy chicken fry flavors.
- Add 3 tablespoon chick pea flour or besan.
- Also add corn flour along with approximately around 1.5 teaspoon.
- Add beaten yogurt measuring 3 tbsp.
- Add red food color, lemon extract.
- Mix up everything without lumps of flour and yogurt.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat oil for deep frying the chicken and drop the marinated chicken pieces carefully.
- Deep fry them on low flame by stirring in between.
- It takes about 12 minutes for them to fry well. Keep stirring in order to avoid burning the masala at the base. Always use a non stick deep frying pan to avoid masala sticking.
- Take the fried chicken pieces out and place them on an absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Serve the pieces hot as fried chicken starter.
- Check out the video below for this version of deep fried boneless chicken which is simple and easy.
Video procedure to make deep fried boneless chicken fry:
- The recipe looks delicious after plating as posted below…
Below I am sharing the recipe details for South Indian Andhra style of making chicken recipe in the below recipe card…
How to make chicken fry recipe andhra style:
Andhra Chicken Fry Recipe South Indian Style
A spicy chicken fry recipe from andhra region in south india…
- 500 gms medium size chicken pieces, cleaned and washed well
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4-5 vertically slit green chillies
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 4 medium size onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- salt – to taste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp roasted coriander seeds powder
- ½ tsp black pepper corn powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
Firstly, take a wok, into it add oil and heat it.
Add curry leaves and allow them to crackle.
Into it, add green chillies and stir well.
Add the finely chopped onions, salt and saute until they turn soft and not brown.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute to get rid of raw smell.
Add the chicken pieces into it and roast them well until color of the chicken changes.
Add salt as per the taste.
Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted coriander seeds powder, black pepper corn powder, garam masala powder and mix everything well.
Roast the chicken on medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
Keep stirring in between to avoid burning of the masala at the bottom.
Cook the chicken for 5 minutes, mix well.
Cook again for 5-10 more minutes and stir.
Cover the lid and cook the chicken on sim flame until it gets soft and keep stirring and checking in between.
add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Cook the chicken for 10 minutes or until its done.
Cook or roast it uncovered if there is any water remaining or skip this step.
Switch off the flame.
Serve hot as a side dish along with rice or roti.
Watch the video procedure above.
Andhra Chicken Fry Recipe South Indian Style
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 1g6%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 101IU2%
Vitamin C 53mg64%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.